Halloween is Near...No Fear, Safety is Here!
By Col. Ben Huff, 30th MSG Commander
/ Published October 26, 2007
VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. --
It seems at this time of year, we begin ramping up for a number of family events and holidays that gives us pause to think through what we need to do to ensure the safety of our families, especially our children.
Vandenberg AFB will observe the time-honored tradition of "Trick or Treating" on Wednesday evening from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. in West Housing only. As in year's past, Security Forces members will be out ensuring this year's event is indeed safe and there are no "tricks." Off-duty "Defenders" will augment law enforcement patrols with a Pumpkin Patrol consisting of bike and foot patrols in base housing and other base areas to deter acts of vandalism and ensure a safer environment for our children.
We encourage parents to take additional precautions with their children to make this a safe and uneventful evening of fun. Consider the following:
- Children should be escorted by an adult, especially those under the age of 12
- Walk only on the sidewalks and not in the street
- Use flashlights and wear brightly/reflective clothing
- Visit only those homes with their front door lights illuminated
- Be cautious whenever you cross the streets
- Watch for tripping hazards and ensure costumes are not too long
- Avoid wearing masks between homes and neighborhoods which impair vision
- Stay away from pets being walked or inside homes (parents do not walk your dogs with your children as they Trick or Treat)
- Drivers be aware of your surroundings and watch for children darting across the street or entering the road from between parked cars
- Limit driving in housing to an absolute minimum during the hours of 5:30-8:30 p.m.
The Chaplains is also providing alternative activities for our youth at the Chapel 1 Annex. They will be hosting the Annual Fall Festival on 31 Oct from 5-7 p.m.. There will be food, carnival type games, a bounce house. All will be free of charge.
The official ending time for "Treating" is 8:30 p.m. and curfew remains unchanged at 10:30 p.m.
Let's have a fun, but safe Halloween!