Col. Robert F. Wright, Jr. is Vice Commander, 14th Air Force, at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif. The 14th Air Force is the United States Air Force's space numbered air force. It provides ready space forces and command and control capabilities comprised of 28 weapon systems, with 12,000 personnel, in 155 units, at 44 locations worldwide. As the Air Force Space Command's operational space component to the United States Strategic Command, the 14th Air Force plans, tasks and directs spacelift, on orbit satellite operations, global missile warning and space control. Colonel Wright provides leadership and guidance for the 14th Air Force staff, five space wings and the Joint Space Operations Center.
Colonel Wright is a graduate of the United States Air Force Academy and the University of Southern California. He completed the DOD Executive Leadership Development Program, is a distinguished graduate of Air Command and Staff College and completed Senior Service School as a National Defense Fellow. He commanded two communications squadrons and a communications group, including a one year deployed tour supporting Operation Southern Watch. He served several key staff positions, including executive officer to the Director, National Reconnaissance Office, Aide-de-Camp, and executive officer to the Commander, United States Central Command. He also served on the Air Staff, at the office of the Secretary of the Air Force (Space Systems), at United States Central Command Headquarters and at Headquarters Air Force Space Command.
1981 - BS, US Air Force Academy
1984 - Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1987 - MS, Systems Management, University of Southern California
1994 - Distinguished graduate, Air Command & Staff College, Maxwell AFB Ala.
1994 - Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk Naval Station Va.
1995 - John Malone Fellowship in Arabic and Islamic Studies (Abu Dhabi & Qatar)
1996 - DOD Executive Leadership Development Program, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
2001 - National Defense Fellow
1. Jul 81 - Jul 85 - acquisition project officer, then planning and operations manager, Launch Vehicles Directorate (SD/YV), Los Angeles AFS CA
2. Jul 85 - Apr 89 - chief, program control, SecAF Office of Special Projects (SAF/SP), Los Angeles AFS, Calif.
3. Apr 89 - Jan 92 - program element monitor, SECAF Office of Space Systems, then executive officer to Deputy Director, J-3 (National Systems' Support), Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
4. Jan 92 - Aug 93 - executive officer to Director, National Reconnaissance Office, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
5. Aug 93 - Jul 94 - distinguished graduate, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. Jul 94 - Jun 96 - action officer, Command, Control, Communications and Computer Systems Directorate, US Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
7. Jun 96 - Aug 97 - executive officer to Deputy Commander-in-Chief, US Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
8. Aug 97 - Aug 98 - aide-de-camp, then executive officer to the Commander-in-Chief, US Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla
9. Sep 98 - Aug 99 - Commander, 4404th, then 363d Communications Squadron, Prince Sultan AB, Saudi Arabia
10. Sep 99 - Jul 00 - Chief, Information Assurance Operations Branch, HQ Air Force Communications and Information Center, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
11. Jul 00 - Jun 01 - Senior Service School, National Defense Fellow, Clark Atlanta University, Atlanta, Ga.
12. Jul 01 - Jul 03- Commander, AFSPC Communications Support Squadron, Peterson AFB, Colo.
13. Jul 03 - Jul 05- Commander, 55th Communications Group, Offutt AFB Neb.
14. Jul 05 - Present- Vice Commander, 14th Air Force, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
Master Acquisition Badge
Senior Communications Badge
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1981
First Lieutenant May 27, 1983
Captain May 27, 1985
Major Oct 1, 1993
Lieutenant Colonel Apr 1, 1998
Colonel Aug 1, 2002