Col. P. Brent McArthur is the vice commander of the 30th Space Wing and Western Range at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif. The wing's forces conduct spacelift and range operations, and support operational and developmental missile system testing for the Department of Defense from the West Coast of the United States. Vandenberg Air Force Base is the only U.S. platform for polar orbit launches and the only location to conduct intercontinental ballistic missile testing without over-flying populated areas.
Colonel McArthur was commissioned through Officer Training School in 1991. He has served in a variety of space and missile staff and command assignments to include squadron command of the 3rd Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo. Colonel McArthur also deployed as a space duty officer in support of Operations Enduring Freedom and Southern Watch in the Combined Air Operations Center, Prince Sultan Air Base, Saudi Arabia. Prior to his current assignment, he was the Military Advisor for Missile Defense and Space Policy to the Assistant Secretary of State for the Bureau of Arms Control, Verification and Compliance, U.S. Department of State, Washington, D.C.
1989 Bachelor of Science degree in business management, University of West Florida, Pensacola, Fla.
1995 Master of Science degree in general administration, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant
1995 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1999 Master of Administrative Science degree in organizational management, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2002 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2004 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air War College, by correspondence
2010 Master of Science degree in national resource strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, DC.
1. December 1991 - March 1996, deputy missile combat crew commander, instructor deputy combat crew commander, missile combat crew commander, instructor missile combat crew commander, Guardian Challenge competitor, training and evaluation flight commander and squadron senior flight commander, 91st Missile Wing, Minot AFB, N.D.
2. March 1996 - July 1997, assistant professor of aerospace studies and unit admissions officer, University of South Alabama, Operating Location 432-A, Mobile, Ala.
3. July 1997 - May 1999, Air Force Intern Program, Deputy Chief of Staff Air and Space Operations, Program Integration; Office of the Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Nuclear, Chemical and Biological Programs, Nuclear Matters, Washington, D.C.
4. May 1999 - August 1999, student, Initial Qualification Training-GPS, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
5. August 1999 - August 2001, wing executive officer; chief, commander's action group and GPS crew commander, 50th Space Wing, Schriever AFB, Colo.
6. August 2001 - March 2002, program element monitor for the Space Warfare Center, Space Integration Branch, Directorate of Operations, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
7. March 2002 - July 2002, space duty officer, Operations Enduring Freedom and Southern Watch, Combined Air Operations Center, Prince Sultan Air Base, Saudi Arabia
8. July 2002 - July 2003, chief, Space Warfare Enhancement Section, Space Integration Branch, Directorate of Air and Space Operations, Headquarters AFSPC, Peterson AFB, Colo.
9. August 2003 - June 2004, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. June 2004 - June 2006, chief, National Security Space Protection Branch, Planning Integration Division, National Security Space Office, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2006 - June 2007, chief, Space Superiority Branch, Space Superiority Division, Directorate of Programs, Deputy Chief of Staff, Strategic Plans and Programs, HQ U.S. Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2007 - July 2009, commander, 3rd Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
13. August 2009 - June 2010, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
14. June 2010 - June 2011, chief, State-Defense Exchange Division, International Security Operations, Bureau of Political-Military Affairs, U.S. Department of State, Washington, D.C.
15. June 2011 - May 2012, military advisor, Missile Defense & Space Policy, Bureau of Arms Control, Verification and Compliance, U.S. Department of State, Washington, D.C.
16. May 2012 - Present, vice commander, 30th Space Wing, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Distinguished Graduate, Undergraduate Missile Training
Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School
Distinguished Graduate, GPS Initial Qualification Training
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 31, 1991
First Lieutenant July 31, 1993
Captain July 31, 1995
Major June 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2006
Colonel April 1, 2012