Col Michael S. Hough is Commander, 30th Space Wing and Western Range, Vandenberg Air Force Base, California. He is responsible for an installation spanning more than 118,000 acres and a population of 11,000 military, civilians, and contractor personnel. The wing’s forces conduct spacelift and range operations, and support operational and developmental missile system testing for the Department of Defense from the West Coast of the United States. Vandenberg Air Force Base is the only U.S. platform for polar orbit launches and the only location to conduct intercontinental ballistic missile testing without over-flying populated areas.
Col Hough entered the Air Force as a Distinguished Graduate of the Reserve Officer Training Corps at Texas Tech University in 1992. His past assignments include Commander, 527th Space Aggressor Squadron, Vice Commander, 21st Space Wing, and Director of Space Forces, U.S. Air Forces Central Command. The colonel’s staff assignments include positions at the National Reconnaissance Office and the Air Staff.
Prior to his current assignment, Col Hough was Executive Officer to the Commander, Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1992 Bachelor of Business Administration, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
1996 Masters in Human Relations, Criminology, University of Great Falls, Great Falls, Mont.
1998 Squadron Officer School, Montgomery, Ala.
2001 Space Weapons Instructor Course, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Las Vegas, Nev.
2005 Masters of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air War College, by correspondence
2010 United States Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2010 Masters of Science, National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
1. 1993, Student, Undergraduate Missile Training, 392d Space & Missile Training Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
2. 1993-1994, Deputy Crew Commander, Squadron Command Post, 12th Missile Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
3. 1994-1995, Instructor Deputy Crew Commander, 341st Operations Support Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
4. 1995-1996, Assistant Flight Commander/Instructor, 12th Missile Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
5. 1996-1997, Flight Commander/Instructor, Squadron Command Post, 12th Missile Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
6. 1997-1998, Wing Emergency War Order Instructor, 341st Operations Support Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
7. 1998, Student, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. 1998, Assistant Chief, Emergency War Order Training, 341st Operations Support Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
9. 1998-1999, Missile Warning Crew Commander, 6th Space Warning Squadron, Cape Cod, Mass.
10. 1999-2000, Chief, Standardization/Evaluation, 6th Space Warning Squadron, Cape Cod, Mass.
11. 2000-2001, Student, USAF Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Las Vegas, Nev.
12. 2001-2004, Chief, Space & Information Operations, and Assistant Director of Operations, 353d Combat Training Squadron, Eielson AFB, Alaska (2003, Operation Enduring Freedom, CENTCOM J-3, As Sayliyah, Qatar)
13. 2004-2005, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. 2005-2006, Chief, Space Tactics Division, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va. (2006, DIRSPACEFOR Staff, Al Udeid AB, Qatar)
15. 2006-2007, Executive Officer, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
16. 2007-2008, Chief, Training and Exercises Branch, Plans & Requirements, Air Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
17. 2008-2010, Commander, 527th Space Aggressor Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colorado Springs, Colo.
18. 2010-2011, Student, U.S. Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
19. 2011-2013, Professor, Strategy and Policy Division, U.S. Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
20. 2013-2015, Vice Commander, 21st Space Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo.
21. 2015-2016, Director of Space Forces, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, U.S. Central Command, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
22. 2016-2017, Executive Officer to the Commander, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
23. 2017-Present, Commander, 30th Space Wing and Western Range, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
Badges: Command Space Operations Badge and Basic Missile Operations badge
Systems: Minuteman III, Phased Array Warning System, Space Control
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Distinguished Graduate, Reserve Officer Training Corps, 1992
Top Performer, Undergraduate Missile Training, 1993
Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, 1998
Distinguished Graduate, PAVE PAWS Initial Training, 1999
Graduate, USAF Weapons Instructor Course, 2001
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant October 20, 1992
First Lieutenant October 20, 1994
Captain October 20, 1996
Major April 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel September 1, 2007
Colonel August 1, 2013
(Current as of December 2018)