|COLONEL NINA M. ARMAGNO|
Col. Nina M. Armagno is commander, 30th Space Wing and Western Range, Air Force Space Command, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif. The wing's forces conduct spacelift and range operations, and support operational and developmental missile system testing for the Department of Defense from the West Coast of the United States. Vandenberg AFB is the only U.S. platform for polar orbit launches and the only location to conduct intercontinental ballistic missile testing without over-flying populated areas.
Colonel Armagno entered the Air Force after graduating from the U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo., in June 1988. Her experience in space systems operations includes combat mission ready operator, instructor, evaluator and flight commander in strategic missile warning, space surveillance, space control, space launch and theater missile warning mission areas. She was the operations officer at the 1st Space Launch Squadron, Cape Canaveral, Fla.
Colonel Armagno has served as the installation commander of the 6th Space Warning Squadron at Cape Cod Air Force Station, Mass., and as the commander and deputy commander, 21st Operations Group, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo. She has served as the Department of Defense senior military assistant and chief of staff to the director, Operational Test and Evaluation, Office of the Secretary of Defense. In addition, she has held staff assignments at Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Headquarters 14th Air Force and the 381st Training Group and served as an Air Force Legislative Fellow in the office of Congresswoman Ellen Tauscher.
1988 Bachelor of Science degree in biology, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1992 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1999 Master of Arts degree in education administration and management, Chapman University, Calif.
2000 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence.
2002 Air Force Legislative Fellowship, Washington, D.C.
2003 Certificate in Legislative Studies, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
2003 Air War College, by correspondence.
2007 Master of Science degree in national security studies, National War College, Washington, D.C.
2010 United States Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of Virginia, Darden School of Business, Va.
2010 Leadership Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1. July 1988 - November 1988, student, Undergraduate Space Training, Lowry AFB, Colo.
2. November 1988 - December 1988, student, Combat Crew Training, Peterson AFB, Colo.
3. January 1989 - February 1993, missile warning crew commander, chief of training and chief, standardization/evaluation, 7th Space Warning Squadron, Beale AFB, Calif.
4. March 1993 - November 1994, chief, operations training, 21st Operations Support Squadron, Peterson AFB, Colo.
5. November 1994 - September 1996, flight commander, 11th Space Warning Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
6. September 1996 - July 1998, instructor and flight commander, 533rd Training Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
7. July 1998 - July 1999, executive officer, 381st Training Group, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
8. July 1999 - July 2000, chief, warning operations, Headquarters 14th Air Force, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
9. July 2000 - September 2001, operations officer, 1st Space Launch Squadron, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.
10. September 2001 - September 2002, Air Force Legislative Fellow, Washington, D.C.
11. September 2002 - May 2003, chief, ground-based warning, Headquarters Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2003 - December 2004, commander, 6th Space Warning Squadron, Cape Cod AFS, Mass.
13. December 2004 - July 2006, deputy commander, 21st Operations Group, Peterson AFB, Colo.
14. July 2006 - June 2007, student, National War College, Washington, D.C.
15. June 2007 - May 2008, military assistant for Space and Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance Systems to the director, Operational Test and Evaluation, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C.
16. May 2008 - June 2009, senior military assistant and chief of staff to the director, Operational Test and Evaluation, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C.
17. June 2009 - July 2011, commander, 21st Operations Group, 21st Space Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo.
18. July 2011 - January 2012, director of staff, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
19. January 2012 - Present, commander, 30th Space Wing, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
Badges: Command Space Badge
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
2010 Women of Influence Award
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1988
First Lieutenant June 1, 1990
Captain June 1, 1992
Major Oct. 1, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2003
Colonel Sept. 1, 2007
(Current as of January 2012)